In her book, The Well Trained Mind, Susan Wise Bauer asks the question: How do I know if my child truly understands what she is learning in math? The answer: Give her a page from a different math curriculum and see if she can do it. Switching curriculum, or occasionally supplementing one, can lead to a wider understanding of the subject because the information is presented in a different manor, and the student is exposed to a variety of viewpoints. You get a clearer picture of what you are learning, and sometimes fill in the holes. It also allows you, as the teacher, see any weak spots and provides the opportunity to strengthen them.
By the time January hits, our homeschool is usually ready for a change. The excitement of the Holidays are over, and it's back to business as usual. I hate business as usual. It boars me and makes me restless. I need change on a regular basis, and thankfully so do my kids. So, January is a great time to start new subjects, or just change curriculum for some subjects. I add some things and take some things away. I refresh our homeschool.
This year, for Mayah my 2nd grader, I am adding cursive and switching her math from Math-U-See to Abeka. She actually LIKES routine, and I can't change things too much for her or she gets insecure. That fine and I work with it.
For Ian, my 5th grader, I am adding to his writing curriculum (supplementing it with Abeka's Language B), changing his Logic program, and adding drawing classes. I am also raising my expectations in certain areas, such as his handwriting and spelling. I am requiring him to make outlines and write short essays that demonstrate his understanding in certain subjects, such as history and literature (the two are one and the same in our homeschool).
We are also going to purposely peruse New Years Resolutions this year. I want them to learn how to focus on a goal of personal achievement and find satisfaction in accomplishing those goals. We are going to lean how to set a goal, decide on the steps needed to achieve that goal, and practice the art of self discipline for the purpose of advancement. I acknowledge that this task requires that I set the example and I will be doing my best to model behavior that provides direction and accountability for my kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
WOW! Sounds wonderful. So how's it going?
Love!!
I ask the same-how is it going? A great life lesson! hugs!
It's great, actually. No one has revolted, and they both accept the changes without argument. We use the Homeschool Tracker software, and they are both familiar with what is expected of them on a daily basis.
Ian is almost 100% independent in his studies (I just check his work and hold him accountable for finishing in a timely manor for the most part.) Mayah still needs one-on-one for most subjects, but she is coming along nicely, especially with her reading.
what a great idea to occasionally switch curriculum
to check for holes. that's what i always worried
about, but when i sent them to school, they were
far ahead of the class...
Post a Comment