May I make one humble suggestion to my homeschool friends? Actually, this could quite easily apply to public and private schoolers too. (If you haven't thought of this already.)
Don't let your school year come to an end with a fizzle. What I mean is don't just let the days of schoolwork fade into days of summer. Go out with a bang! Figure out an official day to end the school year and do something big to commemorate all your child's hard work. Have a party with friends, have a special dinner, buy them a gift---- just do something.
I think kids need closure just as much as we do. We can give them that by some type of fun event that they can remember.
Last year, my family and I went to the Oregon coast for the weekend to celebrate the end of the school year. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to go away on vacation after a hard school year! On the drive down, we praised each child for all their accomplishments that year and informed them that they were now moving on to the next grade. They were so proud and very thrilled!
Another year we had a party with other homeschooled friends to celebrate the end of the school year. That was lots of fun, too.
One year we bought the kids special gifts as "graduation" presents and took them out to dinner.
It's not the event that matters so much- it's the observation of the child's hard work through out the year and the initiation into the higher level of schooling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm not sure how good or bad (sad) this is LOL but we always mark our end of the year with the CAT test. Once the kids finish their test they scream "I'm FREE!" Everyone cheers. This year we are having a pool party with our co-op to close out a great year.
what's the celebration for this year? :) We'll be going to the end of the school year party at our public school-how ironic is that?!
love it!
Post a Comment