It's August. That means it's planning time for our homeschool. This year, I am using the Homeschool Tracker software, and so far I like it. I paid $49 for all the special features that don't come with the free edition. It is taking me some time to learn the program, but I see it as a time investment. The idea is that I will be using the same software for the next few years, so it can only get easier, right? It also comes with tutorial videos for "techno-tards" like me.
I have the curriculum and the schedule all planned out, and boy, am I ambitious this year!!! Last year was pretty low-key, and so this year I feel like I must cram the schedule full. In addition to our at-home academic studies, Mayah will be taking gymnastics, piano and 2 co-op classes. Ian will be taking guitar lessons, fencing and perhaps join the Young Marine program in our area. He will also take 2 co-op classes.
Following the Classical approach, Ian is entering the Logic Phase this year, and his work-load will become more intense. More writing, more reading and he begins critical thinking which will lead to formal logic in a few years. He has completed (my mandatory) 2 years of piano, so his instrument of choice is guitar. He is entering a second year of Latin study, and will be a bit more intensive in his study of current events/world view using God's World News. Fencing lessons are a delight to him, and he will continue them as long as his interest holds.
Mayah is, of course, still in the Grammar Phase. Getting her to a fluent reading level is our focuse this year. She is taking her second year of piano, second year of Latin, and second year of gymnastics (she can do competition if she wants to, but I don't think she will).
Over the past 4 years, Ian and I have made it through the 4 volumes of Story of the World (Ancients, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern) so we are back at Ancients, and Mayah will be joining our history study this year. We'll start with Creation and go through the fall of Rome. I am excited because Ian can handle a heavier work load, and, since we are already familiar with the basic story, we can focus of the causes of so many wars and events. Mayah will get to do fun activities and games and read favorite mythology stories with us, in addition to learning the basic story of ancient times.
The kids try to pretend they aren't interested in the upcoming school year, but I see them poking through all the books I have spread out. The Art and History, and Science books have been thoroughly thumbed through. They won't admit it, but they are excited too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
how exciting to talk about this:)
Post a Comment