My son has always hated writing. I mean, he LOATHES it. Imagine my surprise when we had this conversation this morning.
Me: "Finish your history, and then we will be done with school today. We have to leave in half an hour to go bowling."
Son: " But I want to write in my journal today."
*shocked blinking*
Me: "Ok, well we might not have time."
Son: "Can I write in my journal when we get home?"
*still blinking in shock*
Me: " Of course. If you finish your history quickly, you'll have time before we leave."
Son: "OK!"
I believe the reason he likes writing in his "journal" is because of the topic on which he writes. He likes to draw pictures of battle scenes from history (French Revolution, American Revolution, Civil War, etc.) and then write descriptive narrations of what might be occuring on the battle field.
Who would have thought it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Isn't it amazing? It just takes that one thing and then the whole world opens up. Love it.
I've really been thinking a lot about this post. I should have the boys writing more. I find myself getting frustrated by their penmanship or lack of spelling ability. But I haven't been consistent with the writing. I think it would also help David with his dyslexia. He loves Utah Utes. They are a football team. :) Anyway, when he first wrote down their name and stats he wrote UHAT. I crossed it out and wrote UTAH. I then explained that he did a great job with remembering all the letters. He just confused the two. On his own he rewrote the stats. It's been two weeks and he can still spell Utah correctly, whether written or orally. DUH TERRI! Light bulb moment between that and your post. Thanks for sharing. You inspire more then you know. :)
How is my friend? :)
Post a Comment