Thursday, July 31, 2008

Subjects for next year.

I tried talking the kids into cutting their summer short and starting school early this year. Imagine my surprise when this was met with choking and gasping noises.

I couldn't even win them over to my point of view when I explained that the earlier we started, the earlier we could stop. Oh Well. As of now, we will start September 1st. They don't know that I shaved off a week of summer (we were going to start on the 8th). Please don't tell them.

Next week I will commence planning lessons and plotting courses. I would love to hear your ideas and plans.

Here are the subjects we will cover this year:



4th Grade Son:

Bible- Read children's version of Bible
Latin- Latina Christiana
Grammar- God's Gift of Language A (Abeka)
Writing- Writing Strands level 3-4
Spelling- Spelling Workout
Penmanship- copywork, dictation
Reading- 60 minutes a day (30 history related, 30 fiction)
History- Story of the World, vol 3
Math- Math U See (Delta level)
Science (physics)- Science in a Nutshell kits
Art- I Can Do All Things (How Great Thou Art)
Music- Continue second year of piano lessons, study classical composers and their music.
Memory Work- Various poems, scriptures, speeches (determined by our history study.)




1st Grade Daughter:

Bible- Children's version of Bible
Latin- Prima Latina
Grammar- First Language Lessons
Phonics/Spelling- Phonics Pathways, Explode the Code
Penmanship- Handwriting Without Tears
Math- Math U See (Alpha level)
Art- I Can Do All Things (How Great Thou Art)
Music- Piano lessons and study of classical composers and music
History- A Child's History of the World (Calvert School)
Memory Work- Poems, Scriptures, other stuff...


2 comments:

Terri said...

Your list overwhelmed me a bit so I have taken a while to even comment. :) It sounds like a great year though. Would you mind emailing me with a time line for the day. I'm sure you are not doing everything everyday. Right?! LOL

Check out my blog for a list soon. :)

Sarah A. said...

Oh, Good Gracious NO! We don't do everything every day:

History- Thurs and Fri
Art- Wed.
Science- Tues, Thurs.(in the evening with Dad)
Music (composer study)- Mon.

We will most likely be doing school 9:00-4:00 with a 1 hour lunch break.

Fridays are 9:00 to 12:30 to make room for play dates, field trips, appointments etc...